Thursday, March 29, 2012

Weigh This, Biznatch!

In case the title of the post didn't give it away, I'm not a big fan of the scale.

A few years ago, I went on Weight Watchers. And I kicked the shit out of it. I dropped like 60 pounds in 5-6 months. I got on the scale EVERY DAY. I could tell you to the tenth of a pound how much I weighed on any given day. I was the smallest I'd been in YEARS. I saw my dad and he was like, "Oh my God! You haven't been this little since high school."

That was all well and good, but to succeed with Weight Watchers, you have to keep doing it. And doing it. You wonder why there are 50 year old people in those meetings who have been using it for years. They're there because they HAVE to be there.

Needless to say, I put the weight back on. Not all of it, I don't think, but most of it.

The thing is, I got compulsive about my weight. Obviously the less you eat, the more you lose. So I'd just rein it all in. I wasn't using all of my points every day, or even close on some days. I tried to throw some exercise in, but then the scale wouldn't budge, and I would get SUPER frustrated.

The other thing is that I was eating crap food. Sure, I was eating less of it, and there's something to be said for that, but I wasn't eating well. Which is why when I got off Weight Watchers, I gained it back.

This time around, I'm not using the scale. I'm trying to see how my body FEELS. How my clothes fit.

And it's funny, I got on the scale this week, just to see because my trainer asked how I was progressing. I weight about 7 pounds more now than when I started. Odd thing is, I look slimmer, I feel slimmer, and my clothes fit better.

Because I'm not using the scale as my gauge, I didn't freak out. I thought about what I've been eating, realized I could be doing it better and hopped off the scale. No throwing things, no avoiding food, none of it.

I know I need to eat better, and if I were, I'd probably be seeing crazy results. But, I know myself well enough to know that if I make drastic changes, they'll never stick. I can jump into an exercise routine and keep that up no problem. But my diet, well, that's a completely different story. There is NO point pushing into something I can't keep up.

No comments:

Post a Comment